Lasers have been used for the treatment of skin conditions and in dermatology since the 1960s. but in recent years the technology has advanced considerably. At Berkshire Aesthetics we use the Lumenis M22 which is a modular multi-application platform for the treatment of over 30 skin conditions and hair removal.
Lasers are an established treatment modality which are trusted by patients across the world for their consistent and effective outcomes. A downside however is the discomfort but at Berkshire Aesthetics we combine the M22’s in-built cooling function with the Zimmer Cryo Air Cooler 6 to ensure the most comfortable laser treatment possible.
Lasers are highly versatile devices which can treat not only a large number of skin conditions but also skin types. To ensure patient safety a patch test must be performed prior to a course of treatment.
The M22 can treat numerous skin conditions including:
– Thread veins
– Cherry angiomas
– Sun damage (age spots and freckles)
– Scars and stretch marks
– Unwanted hair
– Dull complexion and uneven skin tone
– Fine lines and wrinkles
The M22 is a multi-platform system utilising a number of different attachments to deliver a variety of laser energy to the skin. The three systems used at Berkshire Aesthetics are:
1. Universal IPL: uses different wavelengths to pulse through the skins surface, targeting a specific area. In the treatment of pigmentation, vessels and hair removal; IPL uses light energy to target a particular chromophore. This light is then absorbed by the target which causes it to break down into smaller particles, it then rises up to the skin surface to flake away or breaks down damaged tissue as part of the body’s natural healing process.
2. ResurFX: works by stimulating the development of collagen by channelling heat to deeper layers of the skin without harming surrounding tissue. This collagen growth reduces the appearance of scars, stretch marks, open pores and fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Q-switched ND:YAG: effective at treating dermal pigmentation due to it longer wavelength. Works by targeting the melanin chromophore in the treatment area. The laser will target the damaged cells and pigment and break it up into smaller particles through short, powerful bursts of energy. These shattered particles are absorbed into the blood steam and eventually expelled from the body through the lymphatic system.
Before commencing with a course of laser treatment it is important to consider that throughout treatment and after completing a full course patients should avoid excessive and direct sun exposure and sun protection should be worn at all times.
IPL and Laser are suitable for anyone seeking a non-invasive treatment for improvement in the texture and complexion of their skin, treatment of specific skin lesions as well as hair removal. During your consultation your practitioner will thoroughly asses your skin and preform a patch test to determine which IPL or Laser treatment is suitable for you based on your skin type and the condition to be treated.
The treatment duration depends on the size of the area treated and also on the skin condition. Treatment can take between 20 minutes and 90 minutes.
The M22 device provides a pain free and comfortable treatment. Patients will usually feel minimal heat on their skin and a ‘pin prick’ sensation. To improve the comfort of the treatment a Zimmer cooling device is used at the same time to blow cold air onto the skin.
The number of sessions needed is determined during consultation; this is dependent on the severity and type of skin condition treated. Usually a course of 3-6 treatments is recommended with sessions being regularly spaced out every 4-6 weeks. Additional sessions may be required for maintenance in the future.
Prior to treatment, patients are advised the following:
Yes, the M22 is a very safe device. It’s minimised treatment times means that the skin is exposed to the laser for a shorter amount of time which lowers the risk of over-heating the skin. Additionally, the hand-piece comes with a patented cooling tip which protects the skin from sensitivity and post treatment pain.
Minimal downtime is involved post IPL and laser but usually patients can resume to normal activities straight away.
The risk of side effects is very low. During consultation your practitioner will preform a patch test on the treatment area few days prior to treatment. This is to check for any skin reactions and suitability to treatment, you will also be given appropriate after care to minimise the risk of complications.
Some of these rare side effects include:
Generally results can be seen a couple of weeks after the first session. However, laser and IPL are progressive treatments therefore full results are visible after completing the full course of treatment and up to 3 months after.
Patients are advised to avoid application of make-up for at least 24 hours after the treatment. It is also advisable not to use retinol or any creams which are too active for a week. A gentle cleanser, soothing cream and SPF will be recommended by you practitioner to use regularly post treatment.
Other after care includes: